Monday, November 14, 2016

Lack of "Insurance"

     Women for too long have been taught to be sugar and spice and everything nice, don't make a fuss, don't make people mad, be polite and let crap happen to you
                          -Randy King
   Randy's quote.. my own dojo hopping.. it all made sense - you don't undo non physical issues by depending on physical defense as "insurance."
   So what's the appeal in moving from one martial art to another, one dojo to another, to mixed martial arts, while attaining proficiency in nothing? The addicting exercise and the thrill of "new" and "different." Physically challenging classes were ideal. Getting me to understand concepts? Nope. I was too panicked, too bored, too uninterested for such "complicated" matters. I was there under false pretenses, but still hoped that taking classes was a good antidote against trouble.
   Thinking that taking classes automatically instills the "I'm not the one" mentality is a false and dangerous assumption. For me, the stereotypical "bad guy" hiding behind the bushes was less of an issue than acquaintances, (with less than genuine agendas), that I had regretably managed to allow into my life. I can't help wondering how different life would be if each time I conveyed, "I'm not the one. The trouble you want to start  won't be worth your effort here." Back then, it didn't happen. So that leads me to ask.. if one can't verbally aggress when necessary, how can one progress into utilizing physical defense when necessary?
   Due to the help of many people within the VioDy group, I'm not who I used to be, and for that, I will always be grateful. Oh, and as for those "complicated," "boring," "scary"  techniques? Randy presented responses to increased physical altercation. And although that's a gross oversimplification of what we actually observed, even I can't complicate the main goal - to disengage and escape as quickly as possible.
 






































 

No comments:

Post a Comment